Stances are a mechanic unique to The Watcher.
There are 4 stances in the game : Calm, Wrath, Divinity, and Empty. Whenever you are in one stance, then change into another, the game will consider that you are exiting the old stance, then entering the new one. This process is considered changing or switching your stance.
These following cards interact with stance changing in general:
- Flurry of Blows: After changing your stance, returns from discard pile to your hand.
- Mental Fortress: After changing your stance, gain Block.
Other characters can enter and exit stances as well, provided that they have a mean to do so.
Upon leaving this stance, gain two Energy.
These cards allow you to enter Calm:
- Vigilance: Gain Block then enter Calm.
- Tranquility: Immediately enter Calm.
- Fear No Evil: After dealing damage, enter Calm if the target intends to Attack.
- Inner Peace: Enter Calm if you are not in Calm.
- Meditate: After choosing what to retain, enter Calm and end your turn.
This card has interaction specifically for Calm:
- Teardrop Locket: Start each combat in Calm.
- Violet Lotus: Whenever you exit Calm, gain an additional Energy, effectively causes Calm to generate three Energy upon exiting.
- Stance Potion: Allow you to choose to enter Calm.
Within this stance, deal and receive double damage.
These cards allow you to enter Wrath:
- Eruption: Deal damage then enter Wrath.
- Crescendo: Immediately enter Wrath.
- Indignation: Enter Wrath if you are not in Wrath.
- Simmering Fury: Enter Wrath at the beginning of the next turn.
- Tantrum: Deal damage then enter Wrath.
These cards have interactions specifically for Wrath:
Upon entering this stance, gain 3 Energy. While in this stance, deal triple damage. Leave this stance at the end of your turn. Divinity can be entered by gaining 10 Mantra, consuming 10 Mantra in the process.
EmptyEditThis is whenever you are not in any other stances. It has no effects. Exiting from other stances into 'no stance', or entering any stances from 'no stance' is still considered changing stance, and will trigger Flurry of Blows and Mental Fortress.
These cards allow you to exit your current stance: