Potions are one-time-use items that can only be used in combat, with the exception of Fruit Juice, which can be used in most scenarios.(BETA: Entropic Brew and Blood Potion are also usable outside combat.) The player can typically hold up to 3 of them at any given time, or 5 with the Potion Belt relic. However, on ascension levels 11 and higher, the player only has 2 potion slots, or 4 with the Potion Belt.
Using a potion does not require Energy.
Potions are occasionally dropped as a reward after combat. The default chance of a potion dropping is 40% and resets at the start of each Act. If a potion drops, the chance decreases by 10%. If a potion doesn't drop, the chance increases by 10%.
When a potion drops, the rarity chances are:
- 70% for a Common potion. (BETA: 65%)
- 25% for an Uncommon potion.
- 5% for a Rare potion. (BETA: 10%)
|Ambrosia (BETA) (Watcher only)||Rare||Enter Divinity Stance.|
|Ancient Potion||Uncommon||Gain 1 Artifact.|
|Attack Potion||Common||Add 1 of 3 random Attack cards to your hand, it costs 0 this turn.|
|N/A||Blessing of the Forge (BETA)||Common||Upgrade all cards in your hand for the rest of combat.|
|Block Potion||Common||Gain 12 Block.|
|Uncommon||Heal for 25% of your Max HP.
(BETA) Heal for 20% of your Max HP.
|Bottled Miracle (BETA) (Watcher only)||Common||Add 2 to your hand.|
|Colorless Potion (BETA)||Common||Choose 1 of 3 random Colorless cards to add to your hand, it costs 0 this turn.|
|Cultist Potion (BETA)||Rare||Gain 1 Ritual.|
|Cunning Potion (BETA) (Silent only)||Uncommon||Add 3 Upgraded Shivs to your hand.|
|Dexterity Potion||Common||Gain 2 Dexterity.|
|Distilled Chaos (BETA)||Uncommon||Play the top 3 cards of your draw pile.|
|Duplication Potion (BETA)||Uncommon||This turn, your next card is played twice.|
|Uncommon||Exhaust any number of cards in your hand.|
|Energy Potion||Common||Gain 2 Energy.|
|Entropic Brew||Rare||Fill all your empty potion slots with random potions.|
|Essence of Darkness (BETA) (Defect only)||Rare||Channel 1 Dark for each orb slot.|
|Essence of Steel||Uncommon||Gain 4 Plated Armor.|
|Explosive Potion||Common||Deal 10 Damage to all enemies.|
|Fairy in a Bottle||Rare||When you would die, heal to 10% of your Max HP instead and discard this potion.|
|Fear Potion||Common||Apply 3 Vulnerable.|
|Fire Potion||Common||Deal 20 Damage to target enemy.|
|Uncommon||Gain 2 Focus.|
|Fruit Juice||Rare||Gain 5 Max HP.|
|Gambler's Brew||Uncommon||Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.|
|Ghost In A Jar
|Uncommon||Gain 1 Intangible.|
|Heart of Iron (BETA) (Ironclad only)||Rare||Gain 6 Metallicize.|
|Liquid Bronze||Uncommon||Gain 3 Thorns.|
|Liquid Memories (BETA)||Uncommon||Choose a card in your discard pile and return it to your hand. It costs 0 this turn.|
|Poison Potion (BETA: Silent only)||Common||Apply 6 Poison to target enemy.|
|Potion of Capacity (BETA) (Defect only)||Uncommon||Gain 2 Orb slots.|
|Power Potion||Common||Add 1 of 3 random Power cards to your hand, it costs 0 this turn.|
|Regen Potion||Uncommon||Gain 5 Regeneration.|
|Skill Potion||Common||Add 1 of 3 random Skill cards to your hand, it costs 0 this turn.|
|Smoke Bomb||Rare||Escape from a non-boss combat. Receive no rewards.|
|Snecko Oil||Rare||Become Confused. Draw 3 Cards.
(BETA) Draw 5 cards. Randomize the costs of all cards in your hand.
|Speed Potion||Common||Gain 5 Dexterity. At the end of your turn, lose 5 Dexterity.|
(Watcher only) (BETA)
|Uncommon||Enter Calm or Wrath.|
|Flex Potion||Common||Gain 5 Strength. At the end of your turn, lose 5 Strength.|
|Strength Potion||Common||Gain 2 Strength.|
|Swift Potion||Common||Draw 3 cards.|
|Weak Potion||Common||Apply 3 Weak to target enemy.|
- Patch V1.1: The Dealer
- While the potion popup is open, the potion's tip is now displayed.
- Blood Potion buffed to heal 10% -> 25%.
- Potion menu is way bigger now (easier to click on for mouse/touchscreen).
- Top panel gold icon, health icon, potion slots, and modifiers now scale up when hovered.
- Fixing some grammar and typos in Potion popup text.
- Tips for potions now show up when hovered in Reward screens and Shops (not just in the Potion panel after acquisition).
- Fixed issue where up/down on controller in potion drink/discard also navigated to monsters/cards during combat.
- Knowing Skull event can no longer give you a potion if you have the Sozu relic.
- Weekly Patch 54: Loop
- Fixed issue where Blood Potion wouldn't heal the player if used immediately after combat.
- Fixed issue where Entropic Brew did not give players potions if used post-combat.
- Fixed issue where potion seeds weren't persistent on save/load.
- Fixed issue where Toy Ornithopter relic wouldn't trigger outside of combat.
- Weekly Patch 52: Release Date Price Increase
- Fixed issue that allowed player to throw Smoke Bomb in some rooms to no effect.
- Weekly Patch 51: Recursion
- Muzzle blight was applying twice to Lizard Tail and Fairy Potion.
- Throwing a Smoke Bomb at the Final Act boss no longer crashes the game.
- Weekly Patch 44: Chrysalis
- All sources of random temporary card generation in combat (like Dead Branch) can no longer generate cards that provide healing.
- New tip added to indicate that healing cards cannot be generated randomly during combat.
- Weekly Patch 42: Reboot
- Adding card, potion, relic, and heart icons that can appear in tips now. Used on Run History screen.
- Weekly Patch 41: Chill
- Fixed Smoke Bomb and Colosseum bug that caused the player to go invisible.
- Weekly Patch 40: Forethought
- Removed two outdated tips about potions.
- Weekly Patch 39: We Meet Again!
- Potion throw targeting is no longer cancelled via click (you can still drag away or right click to cancel).
- Weekly Patch 38: Bane
- We Meet Again event no longer allows the player to drink or discard the potion.
- You can now drink Fruit Juice in more locations. (FRUIT JUICE REVOLUTION)
- Weekly Patch 37
- Neow's Potion option now opens a reward screen with three potions.
- Weekly Patch 36: Power Through
- Fixed bug where We Meet Again potion removal didn't apply for the left most slot.
- Weekly Patch 35: Aggregate
- Attack, Skill, and Power potions now allow you to choose 1 of 3 cards (buff).
- Updated Smoke Bomb's use text from Drink -> Throw.
- Fixed issue where potion targeting failed if the left most enemy was dead (controller only)
- Smoke Bomb now disables the end turn button so that enemies cannot attack you as you flee.
- Smoke Bombs no longer trigger Come at Me achievement.
- Weekly Patch 34: Malaise
- Snecko Oil potion buffed. Draw 2 -> 3 cards.
- Fixed Save and Quit Smoke Bomb exploit.
- Using a Smoke Bomb no longer gives the Champion score bonus.
- Weekly Patch 33: Terror
- Gambler's Brew will no longer crash if used with no cards in hand.
- Weekly Patch 32: Face Trader
- Fixed Fairy Potion and Lizard Tail not triggering with Muzzle blight.
- Weekly Patch 29: TURBO
- Fixed issue where Fairy Potion wouldn't heal you if max HP was less than 10.
- Smoke Bombs now work when fighting monsters in ? rooms.
- Viewing potions during Discard/Draw Pile view no longer scrolls oddly.
- Weekly Patch 28: The Ritual
- Ascension 11 modifier changed. Instead of weakening potions, the player starts with 1 less potion slot.
- Weekly Patch 26: Controller Support Testing
- Entropic Potion now works properly with Potion Belt as intended.
- Weekly Patch 25: Building Blocks
- Regen potion gets an overhaul. It now acts like Poison, but heals.
- Fruit Juice can now be used outside of combat.
- Fruit Juice will no longer spawn from Alchemize.
- Entropic Brew can no longer spawn Fruit Juice.
- Entropic Brew now spawns potions similarly to Alchemize now (considers rarity).
- Entropic Brew now always gives you potions equal to your potion slot count.
- Smoke Potion can no longer be incorrectly used outside of combat. (Can still be discarded)
- Snecko Oil wording fix for high ascension levels.
- Gambler's Brew (Potion) gets an updated color/shape.
- Dexterity Potion shape updated to match Strength Potion.
- Weekly Patch 24: Potions?!
- 16 new potions were added and there are now different rarities for potions! We still have a few more goodies coming for potions in a later patch.
- New Daily Mod: Brewmaster
- Potion prices are now based on rarity (Common: 50, Uncommon: 75, Rare: 100)
- Potions can now be character specific.
- Potions now have rarity: Common, Uncommon, and Rare.
- New Common Potion: Attack Potion.
- New Common Potion: Fear Potion.
- New Common Potion: Power Potion.
- New Common Potion: Skill Potion.
- New Common Potion: Speed Potion.
- New Common Potion: Steroid Potion.
- New Rare Potion: Entropic Brew.
- New Rare Potion: Fairy in a Bottle.
- New Rare Potion: Fruit Juice.
- New Rare Potion: Smoke Bomb.
- New Rare Potion: Snecko Oil.
- New Uncommon Potion: Blood Potion (Ironclad Only)
- New Uncommon Potion: Essence of Steel.
- New Uncommon Potion: Gamblers Brew.
- New Uncommon Potion: Ghost in a Jar (Silent Only)
- New Uncommon Potion: Liquid Bronze.
- Lowered Potion positions by 2px from top.
- Updated coloring and image for many potions.
- You can now discard potions during combat.
- All potions that were in the game before this patch are Common.
- Except Regen and Ancient potion, which are now Uncommon.
- Weekly Patch 16: Back to Work
- Relics and Potions in the shop now correctly set their prices when restocked with the Courier.
- Weekly Patch 13: Thinking Ahead
- Sozu now prevents you from acquiring new potions rather than preventing usage (similar to Ectoplasm).
- Fixed bug where Nemesis could take more than 1 damage from Thorns, Potions, and relics like Letter Opener.
- Weekly Patch 11: A Library of Features
- If you attempt to get a deprecated potion, you now get a Fire Potion.
- Weekly Patch 10: Quality of Life
- Adding new Ancient Potion.
- Removed Elixir Potion from the game.
- Weekly Patch 6: We're Back!
- Elixir potion buff: Now also affects Curses.
- Weekly Patch 5: Happy Holidays!
- New Potion, Elixir.
- Potions now save using their ID rather than their NAME (wasn't loading in other languages).
- You can no longer open the potions dropdown if you're holding a card.
- Weekly Patch 4: Full speed ahead!
- Added a period at the end of Regen potion's description.
- Weekly Patch 2: Slimes!
- Dexterity potion description updated for clarity/consistency.
- Strength potion description updated for clarity/consistency.