The Nemesis is an Elite encounter that can be fought in Act III: Beyond.
Nemesis is a large ghost-like enemy wearing a six-eyed goat skull similar to the Silent's, and wielding a scythe. Smoke billows from the skull's eye sockets.
- The main trick of the Nemesis is their use of Intangible, a buff that reduces all damage dealt to it to 1.
Has a 50% chance of using Debuff or attacking on the first turn.
Afterwards, has approximately* a 35% chance of using Debuff, 35% chance of attacking and 30% chance of using Scythe.
He cannot use Debuff or Scythe twice in a row, nor can he attack three times in a row.
*The exact AI of Nemesis is a bit more complicated, but the numbers are still almost completely accurate.
|Name||Intent||Effect||Asc 3+||Asc 18+|
|Debuff||Shuffles 3 Burns into your discard pile.||Shuffles 3 Burns into your discard pile.||Shuffles 5 Burns into your discard pile.|
|Attack||Deals 6 x 3 damage.||Deals 7 x 3 damage.||Deals 7 x 3 damage.|
|Scythe||Deals 45 damage.||Deals 45 damage.||Deals 45 damage.|
- The Nemesis's Intangible buff is applied just before attacking at the end of the first turn, making it reduce all incoming damage (including Poison and Thorns) to 1. This buff will only last for 1 turn (ending after attacking the following turn), but will reapply every other turn, giving the fight a clear tempo of attack and defend. Players should generally avoid attacking while Intangible is up, but applying Poison or using power cards is recommended.
- Nemesis' attacks do not increase in power through the fight, but without a source of Exhaust the player will eventually be overwhelmed with Burn cards, so they should take care not to let the fight last too long.
- The Boot ignores Intangible's damage reduction, so all unblocked attack damage dealt will be increased to 5. This is not run-changing, but serves some use in this fight.
- His resemblance to the Silent may mean that he is the Silent's "Nemesis", likely related to the text in the Sensory Stone event.
- While this may not be true for the Silent, Nemesis's goat skull correlates with some Satanic imagery. Goats, goat-sacrifice and goat skulls are all common symbols within Satanism. This may mean that the Nemesis is himself a demon.
- Patch V1.1: The Dealer
- Fixed Nemesis gaining Intangible too early and messing up damage from Thorns.
- Weekly Patch 37: Darkness
- Nemesis elite buff: HP increased. 175 - 186 -> 185 - 200.
- Nemesis elite buff: Scythe attack damage 40 -> 45.
- Weekly Patch 13: Thinking Ahead
- Fixed bug where Nemesis could take more than 1 damage from Thorns, Potions, and relics like Letter Opener.
- Weekly Patch 12: Lunar New Year
- Nemesis Rework
- Intangible now alternates on/off every other turn.
- Moveset is no longer in order but randomized between 3 moves.
- Move 1: Triple attack (6 x 3)
- Move 2: Triple Burn, cannot be used twice in a row.
- Move 3: Scythe (40), has a cooldown of 2 turns
- Weekly Patch 10: Quality of Life
- We updated the animations for several monsters! Affected monsters include: Nemesis
- Weekly Patch 5: Happy Holidays!
- Nemesis elite HP lowered from 200 -> 175.
- Weekly Patch 4: Full speed ahead!
- Level 3 Elite, Nemesis has been reworked.