Strength Reduction is applied before Weak, and will be negated by Artifact in that sequence. Enemy with 1 Artifact charge will have only Weak applied on them, as Strength Reduction is blocked. 2 or more Artifact charges will completely nullify this card's effect, removing 2 Artifact charges in the process.
Malaise is a deceptively strong card. It has a potential to be the strongest source of permanent Strength reduction. Its Strength reduction severely punishes the Snake Plant, Hexaghost, and other enemies that rely on multi-strike, low damage attacks. Its Weak applied can also cripple a hard-hitting enemy for many turns.
The Silent has access to a number of Energy-increasing cards, which can power Malaise up further.
- Flying Knee, Outmaneuver, and Doppelganger can accumulate more Energy for a backbreaking Malaise.
- Concentrate, Tactician, and Adrenaline grant a burst of Energy for an immediate use.
- Well-Laid Plans can Retain Malaise until a turn with respectably generated Energy.
- Burst interacts with Malaise the same way as any other X-cost card: Malaise will be played twice at X Strength, where X is the amount of Energy remaining.
- Malaise applies two debuffs for the purpose of Sadistic Nature.
- Ice Cream helps the Silent accumulating energy even further.
- Chemical X outperforms with this card, permanently reducing an enemy's Strength by two or three points for free.
- Paper Krane cripples enemy even further with empowered Weak, softens even a single, hard-hitting attack to be more manageable.
- Malaise can also applies a longer-lasting Weak with a single use, making Paper Krane even more effective in a longer fight.
- Bag of Marbles, Red Mask, and Twisted Funnel help clear innate Artifact charges to allow Malaise to be used with its full potential.
- Hexaghost, Snake Plant, and Byrd are severely crippled by this card, as they mostly rely on multiple hits attack.
- Malaise, especially its upgraded form, can be used to clear 2 stacks of Artifact in a clutch. This is generally not advised, but it can be used in a case that you want to apply other debuff, such as Poison.
- Corrupt Heart can have its Blood Shots, a rapid attack, nullified once with Malaise. However, its Strength Reduction will be periodically cleared, and its first use of Buff grants it 2 charges of Artifact, making future Malaise harder to use.
- Malaise is very impractical when there is a large number of enemies, as you can use it on only one of them and it consumes all of your remaining Energy.
- Enemies with innate Artifact, such as Sentry, Spheric Guardian, and Donu and Deca make it harder to efficiently or quickly use Malaise.
- Donu and Deca are especially good at countering this card. They come in a pair, have innate 2 or 3 charges of Artifact and steadily and rapidly scale their Strength up, rendering Malaise moot in no time.
- The Champ, Awakened One, and Time Eater can remove all debuffs. While Malaise could make the beginning of the fight easier, you could potentially still have to face their fully-powered attack later in the fight.
- Weekly Patch 34: Malaise
- Malaise card is now Rare (was Uncommon).
- Weekly Patch 10: Quality of Life
- Removing 'Spend all [R].' from all X-cost cards for consistency.
- Fixed bug where cost X cards do not work with energy gain cards if played too fast.