The player is initially presented with the following:
You come across an inconspicuous pedestal with a shining gold idol sitting peacefully atop. It looks incredibly valuable.
You sure don't see any traps nearby.
|Take:||Obtain Golden Idol. Trigger a trap.|
Choosing Take awards the Golden Idol but sends a huge boulder rolling towards the player. The player must choose how to defend themselves:
As you grab the idol and stow it away, a giant boulder smash through the ceiling into the ground next to you.
You realize the floor is slanted forward as the boulder starts to roll forward you.
|Outrun:||Become Cursed - Injury|
|Smash:||Take damage equal to 25% of Max HP (35% in Ascension 15)|
|Hide:||Lose 8% Max HP (10% in Ascension 15)|
The Golden Idol is used for Events in future Acts. It's also a strong Relic in its own right, granting 25% more Gold from battles. It's generally a good idea to take it.
The Smash option is usually the best choice. The Act 1 enemies and Bosses aren't particularly powerful; unless the player has an Elite blocking their way, the 25% damage is probably irrelevant.
Outrunning is also a good choice. Injury is annoying but not game-breaking, and the extra Gold granted by the Relic will offset the cost of paying the Merchant to remove the Curse.
Sacrificing max HP is dangerous - dropping below 50 HP allows many Bosses to kill the player in one shot.
- Not to be confused with the event Golden Shrine.
- The Act 2 event Forgotten Altar will trade the Golden Idol (Relic) for a Bloody Idol and avoid negative options.
- The Act 3 event The Moai Head will trade the Golden Idol (Relic) for 333 gold.
The grinning golden statue protected by a rolling boulder trap is a reference to the opening scene of the first Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Weekly Patch 40: Forethought
- Events: Falling, Secret Portal, Knowing Skull, Golden Idol, and Scrap Ooze receive ambient BGM.
- Weekly Patch 7: Setting Up All the Things
- Golden Idol Event options are slightly harsher. 20% -> 25% damage and 5% -> 8% Max HP loss.