Dead Adventurer is an Event from Act 1 that can appear at the 7th floor or higher, The Exordium. The player finds the remains of a fellow traveler slayed by one of the Exordium's Elites. The player can risk a difficult fight for a free Relic, Gold, or both; or safely escape.
The Event's text has a hint about which Elite you'll fight:
- "Giant Claws": Lagavulin. Unlike its Elite battle, Lagavulin doesn't begin Asleep. Rather than attacking on its first turn, it will begin with Siphon Soul.
- "Flames": 3 Sentries
- "Horned Beast": Gremlin Nob
This Event gives the player two options:
- Search: Find Loot. 25/50/75% (Ascension 15+: 30/60/90%): Monster returns.
The odds of fighting the Elite begin at 25% and increase by 25% after each search. Searching can reward 30 Gold, a random Relic, or nothing. Each reward only occurs once - if the player's first search found nothing and the second search found the Relic, the third search will either reward 30 Gold or start a battle.
If the player successfully searches three times, the Event will end and the player will not fight the Elite.
Defeating the Elite grants whatever rewards weren't found by Searching. Note that the Elite itself doesn't reward an additional Relic - if you Search and find the Relic, you may want to consider leaving immediately, as the Elite will only reward you with card selection and a score bonus.
There's no penalty for Escaping - the player keeps whatever they Searched up and doesn't fight the Elite.
Ignore the odds - consider the Dead Adventurer Event to be an optional Elite fight, and imagine that you'll fight the Elite 100% of the time you press the Search button. If you're confident in your deck and you have plenty of HP, prepare for battle and press the button. You might be pleasantly surprised by a free Relic, but you'll probably fight an Elite for it.
The Lagavulin fight spawned from this event is much more deadly than normal, as it does not begin asleep and will immediately use Siphon Soul. If your deck does not have a reliable damage source outside of normal attacks, this fight will cause you to lose a huge amount health, especially on high ascension levels.
If you can't beat the Elite, but you don't think you can beat the Boss either, you may want to roll the dice anyways. Although the odds of getting a lifesaving Relic for free are extremely low, they're better than a guaranteed loss against the Boss.
Keep in mind that there is a chance that 'Search' might not yield gold nor relics.
- Weekly Patch 49: The Designer
- Fixed Dead Adventurer event was not giving the gold correctly (just showing the effect).
- Weekly Patch 46: Adrenaline
- Preserved Insect and Sling should now work in all elite combats including elite battles from events (like dead adventurer event).
- Weekly Patch 39: We Meet Again!
- Minor dialog improvement for Dead Adventurer event.
- Weekly Patch 34: Malaise
- Gold gain effect from things like Dead Adventurer is now a localizeable string.
- Weekly Patch 5: Happy Holidays!
- Fixed a new line character placed incorrectly for dead adventurer's event.
- Weekly Patch 2: Slimes!
- Dead Adventurer event can now only appear on floor 7 and above.