Losing a run will NOT reset any progress or decrease your Ascension number. Losing a run in Act 4 will still unlock the next Ascension .
All Ascension levels can be played in Custom Mode, but completing them there will not count for your progress in the game.
- Floors Climbed
- Enemies Killed
- Elites Killed
- Bosses Slain
- Beyond Perfect
Ascension 1 - Elites spawn more often.
- There will be approximately 60% more Elites spawned in a map.
Ascension 2 - Normal enemies are deadlier.
- Normal enemies deal more damage with their attacks.
Ascension 3 - Elites are deadlier.
- Elites deal more damage with their attacks.
Ascension 4 - Bosses are deadlier.
- Bosses deal more damage with their attacks.
- Heal for 75% of missing health instead of 100%.
- Lose 10% health at the start of each run.
Ascension 7 - Normal enemies are tougher.
Ascension 8 - Elites are tougher.
- Elites have more HP.
Ascension 9 - Bosses are tougher.
Ascension 10 - Start each run cursed.
- Obtain 1 Ascender's Bane at the start of each run.
Ascension 11 - Start each run with 1 less potion slot.
Ascension 12 - Upgraded cards appear less often.
- Upgraded cards are 50% less likely to appear in Act 2 (12.5%, down from 25%) and Act 3 (25%, down from 50%).
Ascension 13 - Poor bosses.
Ascension 15 - Unfavorable events.
- Many events have less positive outcomes and more severe consequences. For example: More HP loss. Less gold or card as rewards. Guaranteed Curse.
Ascension 16 - Shops are more costly.
- Everything costs 10% more.
Ascension 17 - Normal enemies have more challenging movesets and abilities.
Ascension 18 - Elites have more challenging movesets and abilities.
Ascension 19 - Bosses have more challenging movesets and abilities.
Ascension 20 - Double boss.
- Fight 2 bosses at the end of Act 3
- After you defeat the first boss that can be seen from the map, you will immediately enter a battle with a different Act 3 boss.
- Patch V1.1: The Dealer
- Ascension description tips are now numbered in English.
- Ascension level is now an icon + number in the top panel (gold when max level).
- Rich Presence now contains Ascension level (unless 0).
- Weekly Patch 56: The Collector
- Book of Stabbing enemy's multi-stab attack strikes 1 less time on Ascension 18.
- Spire Growth's constrict power nerfed 15 -> 12 on Ascension 18.
- Writhing Mass' strong hit damage nerfed 34 -> 32. 40 -> 38 (Ascension 2)
- Weekly Patch 54: Loop
- A Note For Yourself event is now available if you aren't playing your highest ascension AND the ascension level is 14 or less.
- Weekly Patch 53: Blizzard
- Ascension 20 achievement not unlocking if you die on Act 4 on A20.
- Spire Spear was incorrectly buffed on Ascension 17 instead of 18.
- Weekly Patch 51: Recursion
- Ascension no longer increments if the run was seeded.
- Weekly Patch 50: The Final Act
- Ascension 20 now correctly works on Endless mode.
- Weekly Patch 49: The Designer
- Reptomancer enemy was receiving the Ascension 18 boost at Ascension 17.
- Weekly Patch 47: Metamorphosis
- Council of Ghosts event now only gives 3 Apparition on Ascension 15+.
- Fixed issue where seeded runs allowed ascension unlocks and uploading to leaderboards.
- Weekly Patch 46: Adrenaline
- Ascension 16 shop price increase lowered from +15% -> +10%.
- Fixed issue where Transient had HP/damage buffs at incorrect Ascension levels.
- Weekly Patch 44: Chrysalis
- Hotfix: Certain score bonuses and achievements are no longer checked when beating the first final boss on Ascension 20, but correctly check after the second final boss is defeated.
- Hotfix: Timer no longer stops on beating the first final boss on Ascension 20.
- Book of Stabbing enemy on Ascension 18+ now does a single stab sometimes, but still increases its multi-stab count.
- In Custom Mode, fixed issue where Ascension was on if not set to level 0. (Even if toggled off)
- Weekly Patch 41: Chill
- Ascension level choosing in custom mode now allows looping around to choose your ascension level quicker.
- Character select screen now saves your last played Ascension level per character except when you unlock a new level.
- Weekly Patch 40: Forethought
- Ascension 17 Bear's Dex debuff nerfed 5 -> 4.
- Ascension 17 Repulsors no longer put 3 dazes into your draw pile.
- Ascension 18 Book of Stabbing enemy now has modified AI. Now stabs you relentlessly.
- Ascension 19 Awakened One's Curiousity Power nerfed 3 -> 2.
- Ascension 19 Champ Strength buff nerfed 5 -> 4.
- Ascension 19 Hexaghost gets less of a buff (no longer also increased Inferno damage).
- Darklings defensive move had the incorrect intent on Ascension 17+.
- Weekly Patch 38: Bane
- Ascension 16 - 20 is now available!
- Adding Achievement for beating Ascension 20.
- The Guardian boss' Phase Shift is now 35 starting Ascension 9.
- Weekly Patch 37: Darkness
- Reptomancer enemy is now affected by Ascension 2 and Ascension 7.
- Spire Growth enemy is now affected by Ascension 2 and Ascension 7.
- Weekly Patch 36: Power Through
- Ascension Mode unlock requirement updated. Now unlocked per character when you win. (previously required either winning 5 times or beating every act 3 boss)
- Weekly Patch 31: Custom Mode
- Increased spacing between floor/ascension and modifiers in top panel.
- Weekly Patch 30: Skewer
- Added a VFX to let you know when Ascension Mode is unlocked.
- Ascension no longer increments if you use a custom seed.
- Fixed Snecko Oil description issues on Ascension 11+.
- Weekly Patch 29: Turbo
- Hotfix: Fixed Snecko Oil description issues on Ascension 11+.
- In the Nest event, the non-dagger option steals less gold now (150 -> 99). Ascension 15 -> 50.
- Weekly Patch 28: The Ritual
- Ascension 11 modifier changed. Instead of weakening potions, the player starts with 1 less potion slot.
- Weekly Patch 25: Building Blocks
- Snecko Oil wording fix for high ascension levels.
- Weekly Patch 23: Testing Continues...
- Added the missing the starting damage on Ascension for Defect.
- Weekly Patch 20: Immolate
- Awakened One nerf. Curiousity is now 2 -> 1. Ascension: 3 -> 2.
- Weekly Patch 19: Seed
- Fixed issue where Ascension 10 Achievement was unlocked 1 level early.
- Weekly Patch 17: Patched in the Face
- Ascension 10 now gives you Ascender's Bane rather than Parasite.
- Fixed issue where Shield Gremlin and Orb Walker had upped values in the wrong Ascension Level.
- Weekly Patch 16: Back to Work
- Hexaghost slightly nerfed on Ascension 4+. (Deals less damage).
- Weekly Patch 15: Surprise Patch
- Fixed issue where Gremlin Thief stopped using Ascension 2 damage after first hit.
- Cleric now shows and uses correct gold costs on Ascension 15.
- Woman in Blue event now correctly describes what happens on Ascension 15.
- Weekly Patch 12: Lunar New Year
- Fixed issue where Ascension level up VFX was not occurring when you unlocked the next Ascension.
- Weekly Patch 11: A Library of Features
- Ascension now goes up to Level 15!
- Ascension Mode can alternatively be unlocked if you have won at least 5 times across all characters.
- Updating wording for Ascension mode description and the UI in Character Select.
- You can now toggle levels for Ascension if you want to play a previous level.
- Weekly Patch 10: Quality of Life
- Fixed issue where Ascension Multiplier wasn't multiplied with Ascension Level.
- Weekly Patch 9: Ascension
- Hotfix: Ascension Mode should unlock properly now. Sorry about that! (Exit Steam and Relaunch to force an update!)
- Ascension Mode
- This mode can be accessed by defeating all of the Act 3 bosses
- Afterwards, Ascension Mode will be available in the character select screen after choosing a character.
- Each Ascension run will get harder as you emerge victorious.
- But beware, each victory will add another layer of difficulty...
- Currently, there are 10 Ascension Levels to fight through!
- Ascension mode does NOT affect winstreaks but wins/losses and leaderboards are still utilized. Each level of Ascension grants a 5% score bonus.